The kitchen isn’t necessarily a space that is considered particularly romantic.
But it can be.
Decorating for Valentine’s Day is one thing, but creating a kitchen with a romantic style can carry that loving feeling all year-long is a whole different story.
There are some style choices you can make to give your kitchen a romance-inspired makeover.
Let’s take a look at some options in cabinets, flooring, countertops, lighting options, and paint colors to transform your kitchen.
One of the first aspects of your kitchen to catch one’s eye is the cabinetry. It can set the tone for the whole room.
There are a couple different cabinet features that give them a romantic feel without sacrificing the functionality. These include:
- Ornamental molding.
- Ornate drawer pulls and knobs.
- Carved detailing.
- White or light color.
All these little details work in tandem for a pulled-together look with a definite romantic vibe.
Be sure to consult your contractor for help finding the best products for your kitchen.
While you’re going for a certain look, keep in mind the amount of traffic that your kitchen floor endures.
Choose a look that’s as durable as you need it to be, yet still gives you the look you want.
The type of flooring in your kitchen can have a huge visual impact. Believe it or not, even the floor can lend itself to the tone of the room.
What should the floor in a romantic themed kitchen look like?
- Light or honey-colored wood
- Neutral, muted color tile
- Laminate that has a wood or tile look and is light in color
Maybe countertops aren’t the most romantic thing, but they are a big part of the overall look of the kitchen. Here are a few options to consider:
- Granite or marble. The shade depends on your personal preference. Lighter countertops create an overall monochromatic, softer look in combination with light wood or tile floors and white cabinets. On the flip-side, dark countertops can make a dramatic statement.
Color has the power to evoke feeling. While the color you choose for your romantic kitchen is up to your personal taste, there are some choices that are traditionally considered more romantic tones. Consider these colors for a romantic kitchen:
- Chocolate brown
- Peachy hues
- Creamy yellow
- Any soft muted tones
Your romantic kitchen will definitely need some “mood lighting.”
Here are some lighting tips to keep the ambiance going in your kitchen all year long:
- Invest in a dimmer switch. These relatively inexpensive devices allow you to dim the lights to any level you choose.
- Ambient lighting. When the kitchen isn’t being used, ditch the overhead lights and opt for another source like under-the-cabinet lights or a table lamp.
Accessories can be changed out more easily and frequently, making it a little easier to select some “out-of-the-box” choices. Don’t be afraid to go bold with statement pieces, and consider these options:
- Pillows, chair covers, and curtains are all ways to show your personality as well as add to the romantic feel of your kitchen.
- Rugs scattered throughout the kitchen can really add warmth to the room.
- Candles are almost a necessity for a romantic vibe. Place them in various spots throughout the room to add a soft glow.
- Centerpieces and flower arrangements add texture to the space.
- Artwork and wall hangings that have special meaning add a little sweetness.
As you plan for your new, romance-inspired kitchen don’t forget the practical aspects of everyday life.
You spend a lot of time in your kitchen, whether you’re cooking, doing dishes, eating dinner, or just hanging out with friends and family.
Create a space that has the romantic feel you want, one that you enjoy spending time in, and that is still utilitarian.
You CAN have the best of both worlds!
Read more about other kitchen designs