Updating your bathroom not only gives your family a better space, but it’s also one of the fastest ways to recoup your financial investment. According to Remodeling Magazine, you stand to gain an 86% return on bathroom remodeling expenses in just one year.
Because the bathroom is a much-used, practical space, it pays to get more functionality and beauty out of it. If you’ve neglected the bathroom in your home for a number of years, it could be screaming out for help.
Here are five signs your bathroom definitely needs help and a remodeling project is in order:
- It’s all downhill from here. Bathrooms take a beating. You and your family use it every day, running the water in the sink, taking showers, using the facilities and treading on the floor. After awhile, all of these activities, heat and moisture wears on the fixtures and the space in general. Some signs of wear and tear include caulk that’s turning black (a surefire sign of mildew or mold problems), grout in the tile that’s missing, and walls and ceilings that are turning yellow or showing signs of mildew.
- It’s a throwback to the 70s. An outdated bathroom is a far cry from a retro-cool design. Pastel-colored tiles or a shocking green sink, toilet and tub do not for an inviting space make. It’s time to swap outdated fixtures, tile and wall paint for a fresh, new look. Today’s bathrooms favor neutral fixtures that stand the test of time. This way, you can change up wall colors easily and it’ll match the fixtures. Or bring in a new color with a new shower curtain and ornamental towels.
- It’s out of your style range. Perhaps you moved into your home and never got around to remodeling the bathroom. Or you’ve been consumed with other home remodeling projects. Now’s the time to tackle the bathroom so that it reflects your personal design style and personality. Think about the details in the bathroom that will make it distinctive of your preference. Need a modern bathroom? Prefer a romantic cottage feel? Want a clean, sleek minimalist look? This is your chance to go big and incorporate your personal touch.
- It’s time to sell. If you’re thinking of putting your house on the market, there’s no better time to update the bathroom. Buyers specifically look for a modern, updated bathroom, as well as a kitchen – the two components they’re most concerned about. There’s a perk that comes with updating the bathroom: You’ll quickly recoup your money in the first year – as much as 86 percent of the project’s costs.
- It’s time to address your family’s needs. Perhaps you updated the bathroom 15 years ago, but today, the space doesn’t address your current needs. What was once adequate for a family with two small children won’t suit a family with four kids who are now in their teens. On the other hand, maybe your parents are living with you and the bathroom isn’t cutting it. Remodeling the bathroom helps address these needs and ensure that the space is functional and aesthetically pleasing – all at the same time.
Don’t let your bathroom’s outdated style, worn-out look, or ugly design get you down. If your family’s needs are different or you’re looking to sell, it’s time to invest in a bathroom remodeling project. With updated fixtures, a modern style and thoughtful details throughout the space, you can turn your bathroom remodeling into a room where the entire family enjoys spending time.