Thinking of remodeling your bathroom? Think about these four trends that will give your space up-to-the-minute style.
Wood is a great choice for floors. Not only are they stylish, but they are a sensibly durable choice, as well. Here are some tips for using and caring for your floors:
- If you’re remodeling more than just the bathroom, consider the benefit of being able to carry the same floor through multiple spaces.
- You’ll want to take some steps to maintain the look of your wood flooring.
- Make sure your bathroom is ventilated properly. Always use an exhaust fan in a bathroom with any wooden surfaces, but especially a ceiling.
- Strategically place rugs where the most water contact occurs, for example, in front of the tub, sink, and around the toilet.
- Wipe up all spills as quickly as possible.
- Wood on the ceiling? Sure! A wooden ceiling can give your bathroom a very natural, simplistic feel.
- You may need to seal the wood with urethane and may even use 15-pound tar paper to cover the area before installing the wood to avoid moisture damage.
- A wood accent wall can give your bathroom a little texture and warmth.
- The same moisture-care you would use on the other surfaces is appropriate for a wall as well.
2. Music and Media
A high-tech bathroom will add a layer of functionality to the space. Consider these steps:
- Have you ever wished you had a TV in your bathroom? Remodeling is the perfect time to add some technology you may have only wished for!
- Consider a recessed niche in one of the walls. Install a wireless plasma screen tv, like this one made by Samsung.
- If you’re concerned about moisture, though the pros say it shouldn’t be a concern, you can cover your TV with a fog-proof, silicone-sealed glass frame.
- If you aren’t crazy about the aesthetics of a television in the bathroom, think about hiding your little niche with a two-way mirror. When the TV isn’t in use, it acts as a regular mirror. When it’s on, you can clearly see the screen.
- If you’re more inclined to listen to some tunes while you’re in the shower or bath, waterproof speakers are the answer.
- As the popularity of high-tech bathrooms grows, so do the choices in speakers. There are many different brands, styles, and sizes.
- The type of installation required varies with the type of speakers you choose. Some are actually built into the shower tiles, like these Kohler speakers. Others can be installed in the ceiling or a small recess can be built into the wall. Either way, bath time will be a whole lot more fun!
3. Tinker With Tile
Getting playful with your bathroom tile is one sure way to show your style personality.
- While real marble can be labor intensive to care for, faux marble tiles make a statement without the work.
- The latest tile trends veer away from the class square shape and instead play with curves and angles to create interesting shapes.
- Try adding small, colorful tiles to an otherwise neutral space. Choosing tile with a high gloss will make the color pop even more.
- There are so many options available and today’s trends are more about you incorporating your own ideas and less about following a formula.
4. Warm It Up
To create an updated bathroom space, think warmth.
- Imagine your cozy bathroom with outfitted with a fireplace.
- Thanks to new technology in gas and electric fireplace design, it’s easier than ever to install one in the bathroom. The price isn’t as steep as you may think, either. There are even many designs that are very low maintenance and specially made for smaller spaces. Big impact, low cost. What’s better than that?
- For future consideration, fireplaces are one of the top three features that homebuyers look for in a new home!
- Keep your tootsies warm in the winter with heated floors! It’s a good choice for bathrooms because it works well with different types of flooring. It also saves on heating costs over time.
2016 trends are big on technology, but also expressing your own ideas of style and design. Show your personality and create a space that you love.
Need more storage? Click here.